The North East Region a break off from the Northern region was created in December 2018.
A part of the ancient Slave Route passed close to Nalerigu, where a defensive wall was built to protect the village from raiders.
This region is rich in culture, history with incredible landscapes waiting to be discovered.
Things to see
- Nalerigu Defence Wall
Said to be built in the 16th century to protect Nalerigu from raiders is a recognised part of the Slave Route.
- Fire Festival
- Gambaga Escarpment
- Tusugu Cliff Dwellings
- White Volta River Rapids
- Ancient rock art at Gingana, Kpatiritinga, Jilik, and Tusugu
- NaYiri Palace in Nalerigu
- NaJeringa historic slave wall in Nalerigu
- Gravesites of ancient Mamprusi and Mossi kings in Gambaga
- Zayaa Mosque/Shrine in Wulugu
- Ancient Koma Figurines in Yikpabongo
- Buyuori Cave in Yikpabongo
- Gbintiri Market